Education, empowering women and Early Childhood Development (ECD) are crucial to the upliftment and transformation of marginalised communities in South Africa - and Masikhule is dedicated to these strategic areas.
Masikhule was founded in the Helderberg in 2005 and currently offers a wide variety of services in ECD, providing essential skills to enable ECD educators to effectively educate and nurture pre-school children in their communities.
- Training: Unemployed women, teachers and volunteers are trained in ECD and early learning skills.
- Mentorship: Over 30 community-based Early Learning Centres are mentored and developed with a goal to them becoming confidently independent centres of learning.
- Business Management: Training for ECD Principals is offered to ensure ECD Centres are run using sound business practices to encourage independence and sustainability.
- Best Nutrition: Training for ECD Centre kitchen staff on best cooking, hygiene and nutrition practices Over 1600 children under 6 years receive a nutritious daily meal through Masikhule partnerships.
- Capacity Building: Ensuring the ECD Centres from disadvantaged communities have access to a variety of teaching materials and resources, educational toys, games and books needed to implement a stimulating learning program.
"Masikhule is immensely grateful to Operation Shoebox for their wonderful initiative to distribute gift boxes to the underprivileged children in our community. The magic they bring is immeasurable – and the joy in the eyes of the kiddies is very special to all of us. We appreciate being part of your outreach!" - Sandy Immelman, Marketing & Communication